I Did It!

There are few times when I had been so nervous in all my life, but for some reason, the walk from my car to the classroom on the first day back from Summer vacation to begin my Junior year of college, was one of those times. Only a few good friends and some professors knew I was pregnant (prior to the Summer unless you knew, you couldn't tell). The idea of shocking my peers with my rather swollen belly was both thrilling and frightening. I eagerly anticipated their reactions yet I feared their judgement. Upon arriving in my first class, I'm pretty sure you could have heard a pin drop. All eyes were on me and the tension surged. No one said anything for what seemed like forever. Finally one brave girl spoke by congratulating me and everyone else followed. They began asking me all sorts of questions - When was I due? Boy or girl? Names? But one question from one girl stood out and was the most difficult to answer. "How are you going to do it? - How are you going to finish school with a baby?" Believe me, I had asked myself that question a million times. I had no idea how I was going to do it, but I just knew I would do it. This was something I had dreamt of, something I strived for my entire life. I wasn't about to give up now!

Three weeks after Little J was born, I returned to school. I felt like I was in a fog. Not only was I completely exhausted from caring for a newborn, but I was emotionally drained from the past 24 hours of crying, dreading leaving my baby boy. I couldn't concentrate in any of my classes and every time someone asked me about the baby, I would burst into tears. The day couldn't go by fast enough. When I got home I was elated to see my precious baby! I just wanted to hold him all night long. But as I held Little J in my arms, I stared at the endless pile of homework in front of me. Once again, the familiar question came to my mind - How am I going to do this?

A year and a half later I sat in my cap and gown waiting to hear my name called. I have no doubt in my mind that this day meant the world to all of my fellow graduates sitting around me, but I can't help but feel that this day meant so much more to me, on a deeper level. For sitting several rows behind me was a bouncy, giggly, restless little boy, my little boy! Despite the challenges of the past year and a half and against all the odds, I did it! I was a college graduate. Don't get me wrong. There were so many times when I wanted to quit. There were many nights when I had a screaming baby keeping me up all night when I had to get up in the morning and take an exam. There were many weekends when my friends would be going to parties, but I had to be at home with my baby. There were many struggles, but I overcame each and every one with hard work and determination. Of course I couldn't have done any of it without some of the most amazing and generous professors or the unbelievable support system of my loving family and Daddy B. To them I will be forever grateful.

Did you know that less than 2% of all teen moms graduate from college before the age of 30? I am a part of that stunning statistic, but I am here to say it is possible and it's worth it! That bouncy, giggly, restless little boy is the reason I am where I am today. On days when I felt so lost and so discouraged, he was my motivation. I did this for him. I want the absolute best for him and I want him to know that no matter how difficult life may be, you can always go for your dreams!

Popular Posts