Thirteen


You were born straight from the womb with your eyes wide open, staring straight up at the sky, hand to your chin, as if you were already contemplating and soaking in everything you possibly could from this great big world. Everyone who came to visit you would comment on how incredible it was that you were so alert and how you couldn’t keep your eyes off of the lights in the ceiling. You would look at us and study us closely. Nana said you must have been seeing angels. Others said you were an old soul, wise beyond your years. I don’t think it was coincidence at all. I think you’ve always known that there is so much more than meets the eye. Considering you announced to us at the age of seven that you were going to be an astrophysicist, you’ve always been enamored with the stars and the universe. You are an optimist and always see the glass half-full, constantly finding the good in situations no matter how dark or dreary. I don’t think it’s any wonder you were born looking up because that has been your perspective every day since for the last thirteen years.

As a mom you can only hope that you teach your children well. You hope that you give them all of the tools that they will need to become good people in this world. You hope that you love them and protect them enough. You hope that they chase after their dreams finding success and happiness in whatever they choose to do. The moment we first met on that October Monday night, when you were placed in my arms for the first time - 6 lbs, 10 oz of sheer perfection - I had no idea what to expect. I had no idea how to be a mother and I had no clue how to raise another human, but in that instant I knew one thing for sure - I would never love anything more. And that was enough. The rest would come with the territory. From that moment on, I have been on a constant journey of learning and you have always been teaching me along the way.

patience. You march to the beat of your own drum, at your own tempo and speed. I, on the other hand, am always in a rush. Maybe that is because I am always running five minutes late, but that’s another topic of discussion for another time. I have learned that you cannot be rushed. You will always do things in your own time and I must find the patience to allow you to do so.

humility. You, my sweet boy, are a very literal young man. Leave it to me to exaggerate something, for example, that I must have watched that movie 1,000 times, and you will quickly correct me, advising me that this would be an impossible feat, and logically explain why. You keep me humble and honest.

creativity. I am not artistic. If I stay in the lines in a coloring book, I consider this to be an accomplishment. You, on the other hand, see something in your mind and if we have tape and a cardboard box on hand, you can bet that by the end of the day, your vision has come to life. I may not be able to assist you with the process or see your vision at first, but I have certainly gained an appreciation for the craft.

perspective. I tend to see the world at surface level. You look deeper. I’ll never forget when you were two or three years old, one night you looked at the full moon and you said to me, “Look, Mommy. The moon is all fixed now”. It took me a second to understand what you meant by this, but once I realized that for the past several nights you had been seeing only bits and pieces of the moon and were now seeing it in its entirety - “fixed” - I realized that you were observant in ways that I couldn’t have imagined and I also knew that I never wanted to forget that moment. More recently when we hiked through the forest devastated by fires, listening to the eerie whistling of the wind blowing through the bare trees, you said that you wondered if that sound was the screams from the souls of the trees that had been burned. We were all somewhat taken aback by this statement, yet couldn’t help but admire the depth of it. Having the opportunity to see the world through a different lens, the way in which you see it, has been one of the greatest gifts and learning experiences for me.

living in the moment. I am on full speed, full time, always planning the next minute, the next day, the next week, the next month, etc. It takes moments like singing our favorite song together in the car, making goofy faces, having conversations about the world, Ava or whatever is on your mind at the time, or listening to you laugh hysterically, when I have to remind myself to pause and breathe and soak it all in.

You have taught me so much about being a mother that I never knew there was to learn. (You have also taught me so much about Minecraft that I never knew there was to learn ;-)). From you I have learned the true meaning of unconditional love. I make mistakes and you forgive me. I have learned that life is flying by at an immeasurable pace, it is fragile and it is short, but every day that I get to hug and kiss you and laugh because of you, is a gift that I will never take for granted.

I remember crying the night before your first birthday. I wanted to freeze you in time. I didn’t want to lose the baby stage and selfishly, I was afraid of you gaining your independence and not needing me as much. I wanted time to slow down. Nana talked me down, explaining that while it is hard to say goodbye to certain phases, each new phase is just as exciting. She was right. (Remember this as you get older: Moms are always right). I have loved watching you grow. From watching you learn to walk and talk, to your first day of Kindergarten, to the first time you saw the ocean, to scoring your first soccer goal, to performing in your first violin recital, to losing your first tooth, to now - voice changing, growing taller than me and making your grand entrance as a teenager in the year of the quarantine and a global pandemic. To say that I am proud would be an understatement. So, similarly to that night twelve years ago, I find myself feeling a little sad today, saying goodbye to yet another phase, wanting time to slow down, but finding hope that despite the challenges I am sure we are to face with you being a teenager, this next phase will be just as exciting. We have many memories to hold onto and a whole future of new firsts to look forward to.

It's funny that what I feared most, you gaining your independence, has actually been one of the most amazing things to witness. Watching you come into your own and discover your place in this world has been awe inspiring. Our conversations have grown deeper and more mature. Our relationship has transformed from not just mother-son, but to best friends. Of course, in my eyes you will always be my teeny tiny baby and I will always aim to be your guide, your protector, your shoulder to cry on. But never doubt that I love the young man that you are becoming.

I am not sure if you picked me, if the universe chose me for you, or if it was simply chance that brought us together, but either way, being your mama has been the single greatest joy of my life. I feel so lucky to know you, even luckier to love you and luckier still to be loved by you.

Happy 13th Birthday, Julian James. Keep seeing the good in the world, keep laughing, keep being inquisitive and introspective, keep being curious, keep chasing after your dreams, and most importantly, keep looking up at the sky. Enjoy your teenage years and remember that it will always be cool to hang out with your mom.

Love always, forever and a day,

Mama xoxo


Popular Posts