A Father's Love

I will never forget the moment when I told Daddy B that I was pregnant. I could see the fear and desperation in his eyes. His body language changed immediately and it was as if his life was flashing before his eyes. Although his words were telling me that everything would be okay, I somehow knew that he didn't believe what he was saying. He was scared out of his mind and who could blame him? The weeks and months to follow would reflect that fear. He became very distant and cold. He would often speak to me with anger, telling me that his life was over and that he wasn't prepared to be a father. I knew it was the fear talking, and I tried not letting it get to me, but at times it became very difficult. I had no idea what my future had in store for me and this baby, and I often wondered if Daddy B would be a part of it. Knowing what I know now, and seeing what I have seen, if I could go back and talk to that scared young man and tell him what his future would hold, hoping to calm his nerves in even the slightest of ways, I might say something like this:

I know you are scared right now, but don't fret for long. The new chapter ahead of you will bring many struggles and many worries, but I promise it will bring you happiness. The first time you hold your baby boy in your arms, you will instantly love him, and the bond created in that moment will never be broken. From this point on, you will lead by example and he will follow. It may seem like a big responsibility and I assure you it is, but it is one that you will fulfill with grace and pride. You are his daddy and he will always love you.

You will be there to witness him take his first steps. He will greet you at the door with open arms and huge smiles each night when you come home from work. It is you from whom he will gain his love of hockey and football. (Although he may not know what is going on, he will share your enthusiasm as he yells at the TV while watching games with you.) He will wrestle with you, tackle you and tickle you every chance he can. When he is sick, sad or scared, he will find comfort in your arms. He will talk to you about superheroes, cars and sports. He will ask you many questions and fill your head with the most amazing stories. He will make you laugh every single day. He will look up to you and want to do everything exactly as you do it. I know it may be hard to see right now, but you will love him with all that you have and protect him from anything that will bring him harm. I can promise you that you will be his hero and his best friend. You are his daddy and he will always love you.

I don't think it matters how young or old you are when you become a parent; The fear that comes with parenting is inevitable. It never goes away. Despite how he felt at the beginning, I'm sure Daddy B would tell you that he would not change a single thing. I have been blessed to witness him become the most amazing father. I love to just sit and watch as he and Little J interact with one another. The admiration Little J has for his daddy is incredible. While I was pregnant, there were many times when I gave him the opportunity to run, but he never did. But the reality is that eight out of ten teen fathers do run and don't marry the mother of their child. That leaves 80% of teen moms to be single moms, playing the roles of both mother and father, and doing everything completely on their own. I am so grateful that he stuck by my side, not only because of the amazing relationship he and I have today, but because of the relationship he has with Little J as well. Our son knows a father's love, and he will be a better man because of it.

Happy Father's Day to my amazing husband, to my own incredible father and to all of the wonderful daddys in the world. This day is for you!

Popular Posts