Ten Things I Love About You

To My Sweet, Sweet Boy on Your 10th Birthday,


Ten. Double Digits. An entire decade. How is this possible? I blinked. That's all I did, and somehow that beautiful, sweet, tiny baby boy that I held in my arms for the very first time grew into a beautiful, sweet, smart, energetic 10 year old boy. I love thinking about the first moment we met because it is my absolute favorite moment of all time. In that moment, my life forever changed for the better, and every moment since, though they have flown by faster than I ever could have imagined, have been nothing short of an adventure. You made me a mama ten years ago, and being your mama has been the best gift I could have ever asked for. You are my whole world and the reason for the millions of smiles I have smiled over the last ten years.


I could easily list thousands of things I love about you, but in the interest of time and to save you from getting annoyed and embarrassed by your sappy mommy, and in honor of it being your 10th birthday, I will cut the list down and simply choose the top 10 things I love about you.


10. Your Curiosity -  From the moment  you were born, eyes wide open, you've always been looking at the sky, curious of all it had to offer. From the moment you could talk, you've never stopped asking questions, constantly searching for answers. And now that you're old enough, you often conduct your own research, seeking answers and solutions to so many of your thought provoking questions. Never stop being curious, sweet boy.


9. Your Optimism - Glass half full. That is how you see things. You serve as a constant reminder to me that no matter how dark the world may seem, there is always light. Never lose that sense of positivity. I assure you, you will live a happier life because of it.


8. Your Love of Our Planet - I tell you little boy, the world could use a lot more people like you. Your awareness of the problems we face and the ideas you have to make a change are inspiring. You are wise beyond your years and I know you are going to do big things. Never lose hope, never stop caring and never lose your voice.


7. Your Inventiveness - You have never lacked imagination. If there is a cardboard box, scissors and tape, you turn it into a hockey rink. Your brain sees things others don't, and in a world over-run by technology, your creativity is refreshing. Never stop coming up with new ideas and never lose sight of the simple things. Always dream big.


6. Your Bravery - Daddy and I have no idea where you get it from, but you are so much braver than we ever were at your age. Take this year, for example. Two of your best friends moved away, and as shy as you are, you could have been so scared to start a new school year without them. I, as your mother, worried about who you would sit next to at lunch or who you would play with at recess, because if that were me, I would have been terrified. But not you. You told us you would be fine. You weren't nervous. You were right - you were just fine. Once again, your resilience shone through. You found other friends to sit with and play with. You may be shy, but you are brave. Never lose that confidence.


5. Your Individuality - There is a Dr. Seuss quote that hangs in your room, and you live it out daily: "You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you". There was a time when you were little when you would have worn a cape everywhere we went if I would have let you. Then there was the tie phase. You wore a tie to school every day with every outfit. Even if you were wearing a T-shirt and sweatpants, you had to have your tie. For Halloween, when other kids were dressing up as superheroes and ninjas, you made your own costume and went as Dipper from Gravity Falls. You had to explain who you were at every house we stopped at, but you didn't care. You have always marched to the beat of your own drum. Never stop being you, baby boy, because the you that you are is amazing.


4. Your Energy - Oh my goodness, what I wouldn't give to have just a fraction of your energy. Maybe we don't need so much of it at bedtime, buuuttt....your energy is still something I envy. I love watching you run around the neighborhood with your friends, chase Ava around the backyard, throw the football with Daddy and score goals on that soccer field. You are such a fun kid. Never lose that sense of adventure.


3. Your Kind Heart - You are the sweetest boy I know. You love all worldly things - tiny bugs, animals and humans alike. You have more empathy than most grown ups I know. You leave imprints on the hearts of everyone you come in contact with due to your sweet demeanor. Never stop being kind.


2. Your Sense of Humor - I know I tell you this all of the time, but you are one silly goose. We used to think you might grow up to be a comedian, and who knows, you still may, but your quick wit and ability to make others laugh is one of my favorite things about you. Never stop being silly.


1. Your Smile - From the very first time you smiled at me to the way you smiled at me this morning and all of the smiles in between, seeing you smile brings me such joy. Your smile is contagious. I know I often come home from work grumpy and exhausted, but seeing your smile makes all of the bad days worth it. You exude a certain kind of light when you smile. Seeing you smile lets me know that you are happy and knowing you are happy says I'm doing something right. It may sound cliché, but you truly are my sunshine when skies are grey, and on days when the sun shines bright, you make it even brighter. Never stop smiling for you have such a beautiful smile.


It has been my honor to watch and help you grow over the last ten years. I am more proud of you than you could ever imagine and I love you more than you could ever know. I look forward to what the next decade will bring, but slow it down a little this time, will you? Stop growing so fast!



Happy 10th Birthday, Julian James!
Love,
Mama
xoxo

Popular Posts