Getting Sexy Back

In college I didn't gain the "Freshman 15" and I will admit that I was the girl that every mom hates after I had Little J. I was maybe 110 lbs. before I got pregnant and I gained about 40 lbs throughout the entire pregnancy. Within only a couple of weeks after giving birth, I was back into my pre-pregnancy clothes. I didn't work out and I didn't watch what I ate. From the time I was a little girl, I was just always skinny. It wasn't until I got married that things started to change.

I got comfortable. A little too comfortable. I'm sure it had a little something to do with age, but mostly to do with pure laziness. It probably didn't help that we lived within walking distance of a Chick-Fil-A and McDonalds. After working all day long, the last thing I wanted to do was cook, so pizza delivery services were practically on speed dial. Not only was this terrible for our bodies, but it took quite the toll on our wallets as well. The more we lived like this, the less my clothes fit. My once favorite jeans wouldn't come up past my thighs. Dresses that once hung close to my knees were rising up due to my ever-growing mid-section. Before I knew it, I was only a couple of pounds away from what I weighed when I was 9 months pregnant. I was no longer the active little thing I used to be. I got a job sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day, and many times I didn't even get up to eat lunch - I just sat at my desk and ate. When 5:00 rolled around, I moved my ass from my chair at work to my couch at home. I didn't like what I saw in the mirror and I didn't like how I felt. I was tired all the time and I was bitchy. I was setting a horrible example for my son, not to mention practically poisoning him with all of the crap I was putting in his body. I realized I had a problem, but how was I going to fix it?

I heard about something my good friend Kelly was doing - something called "clean eating" - so I decided to ask her about it. With her adivce and support, I made a lifestyle change, not only for me, but for my family. For the past two months we have been eating clean, which basically means no sugar, no processed foods, and nothing with more than 5 ingredients that we can pronounce (with some exceptions). We eat tons of fresh fruits and vegetables and I drink massive amounts of water. At first Daddy B was not on board, but even he has loved everything I have made. Little J devours his meals and often asks for seconds.  He is beginning to tell the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods and I find him surprisingly choosing the healthy options. Just the other day, he was eating oatmeal and asked me if it had any sugar in it.  I have forced myself to get up from my desk every day to go for two 20 minute brisk walks, and I work out every morning before work. I have so much more energy and I am in much better moods. I enjoy cooking and I find it fun to see how I can make different recipes clean. I am also proud to say that I reached a milestone this weekend when I stepped on the scale. I have officially lost 9 pounds and I am in the 130's, which I have not seen in over 2 years!

I still have a little ways to go before I reach my goal weight, but I am determined to get there. I refuse to go back the life we were living before. I don't look at eating clean as a diet. I look at it as a lifesyle. It may take a little more work, but the rewards are totally worth it. I want to set an example for my son and I want to live a long and healthy life.

Stay tuned for progress updates...

Popular Posts