I have something to say


I was born white. My father’s white genes passed down from his white ancestors combined with my mother’s white genes passed down from her white ancestors and thus I was created. White. Simply just the shade of my skin that covers what is on the inside - all the organs and blood and guts - the substance of what makes me. The same substance that makes up every other human being. By the color of my skin, I was already pre-determined with a privilege I never knew I had. A privilege I did not ask for, a privilege I do not boast about or take pride in, but a privilege that by chance was given to me. A privilege I take for granted. For my son, also born white by genetics, has also been given this same privilege and with that, there are certain fears I do not need to carry as his mother. When he starts driving, I will face the same fear as any other parent in that I will worry about him constantly, but I will not need to sit him down and have a conversation about what he needs to do if he is ever pulled over by a police officer. He will be taught, of course, to drive safely, abide by the laws, don’t speed, don’t text on his phone, etc. He will be taught to respect authority and those that are in public service. But he will not need to be told that if pulled over, he will need to place his hands on the dashboard immediately, hold still and not move. The absence of this conversation is not because I am neglecting to provide him with this advice, rather simply because by the color of his skin, he will not immediately be seen as a threat to someone who may see him as one. This, I have learned recently is, however, a conversation that often does take place among many other families across the country given the color of their skin because they are not born with that same privilege. These parents face different fears and must arm their young children with the advice that they can only hope will keep them safe.

I love US history. It was my favorite class in school. I still love watching documentaries, reading about and learning about those that came before us in these, the United States of America.  In fact, a few years ago I briefly considered going back to school to earn degrees in both US History and Journalism, two of my favorite things. My favorite eras in history are those of the Civil Rights and Women’s Rights movements. I admire the bravery in my fellow women and men who stood together with one common goal – equality. Twelve years ago I cried tears of joy watching Barack Obama become our president, truly believing change had been made. Eight years later I cried again, this time in grief, seeing that we still had a long way to go. In my quest for seeking out a new career, I wanted to take the lessons learned by our past and give a voice to those that are still unfortunately fighting for these rights today. I wanted to shine a light on a dark topic and share their stories in hope that in some small way, I could make some sort of difference. No difference compared to those who marched and died fighting for these rights, of course, but a difference nonetheless.

The visions seen on TV and in the media over the last few weeks show me that there is still a difference to be made. There are still injustices being shown all over this country and I am heartbroken to see it. I teach my son to love. From the time he was tiny, I have taught him that no one person is the same. From the color of our skin, our gender, our religion, our beliefs, our social standing, or who we love, we are all different yet we are all entitled to be loved and treated with respect, dignity and equality. Those that entered this country through Ellis Island were greeted by the Statue of Liberty reading, “Give me your tired, your poor. Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door”. They came here seeking freedom and equality. Is that what’s been given to them? Jesus says, “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another”. Are we showing each other that love? Our forefathers wrote, “We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”. All men are created equal, yet are they treated as such?
In addition to teaching my son about love, I have taught him to do what is right and that there are consequences when you don’t. Every action has a consequence, whether good or bad. There will sometimes be punishments when you do something wrong. I have taught my child this from the time he was young. There are people in this world doing wrong and not being punished. As all men [and women] are created equal, should we not all be equally held accountable for our actions? I am not here to argue anyone’s political beliefs or beliefs in general about the ongoings of today’s current events. I am simply voicing my own beliefs/scattered thoughts about what I see happening and my wishes for the betterment of the future of my child, the future of his children and the future of those that will come long after us.

I want my son to grow up in a better world. A safer world. A kinder world.  I want him to know that despite the white privilege that he was handed by genetic chance, he has a duty to stand up for what is right and just. Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world”. I personally am still fighting to figure out what I can do to be that change, but I do know that silence will not be the answer. As a mom I must lead by example. I teach my son that if you see something, say something . If you see someone being bullied or being wronged, say something. Don’t just stand by and let it happen. It’s about time I take my own advice. I see a lot happening in this world right now and it’s time I say something. Maybe it’s time we all do.

Popular Posts