Forever

I was a Freshman in high school, going through an awkward phase of trying to fit in while still trying to be myself. I switched science classes for reasons I can no longer remember, and I can't imagine what my life would be like today if I had not made that one vital decision. The class wasn't very big and I can remember being one of very few girls. Some friends of mine kept trying to hook me up with one of the boys in my class and one day I mustered up the guts to work on a project with this particular boy and his friends. The rest, as they say, is history.

He was a skater and he was HOT! He was also very shy like me, but so sweet. We started talking all the time, and every free moment we had, we spent together. He was all that I had on my mind. Thoughts of him brought butterflies. I guess you can say I was smitten. But as time wore on, I could feel us grow apart and I developed other interests. In other boys. Selfishly, I wanted to explore my options and in turn, I broke that poor boy's heart. I began dating other boys who all ended up breaking my heart in the long run. In the midst of heartache, I plugged on through high school with one goal - I couldn't wait to get out of this place and start the rest of my life. Little did I know that the rest of my life was just beginning.

Remember the boy from my science class? Well, one day toward the end of my Junior year, I bumped into him in the stairwell while rushing to class. We exchanged 'hellos', smiled, and went on with our days. Later that night, however, I was online and got an instant message from that very boy. He told me that I looked pretty today and that he enjoyed seeing me. Cute, right? I probably starting shaking and giggling as I nervously typed throughout the rest of our conversation. But that was all it took. In the days that followed, the pattern remained the same. We found a way to "bump" into each other in that same stairwell every day at the same time, and we would each run home every night to chat on instant message. Soon, chatting via the computer turned into chatting over the phone and I didn't go a day without talking to him. The conversations would last for hours and through those conversations, the most amazing friendship was formed. I knew I was in love, but it would take months before I would confess that to him.

The Summer that followed my Junior year was one of the best Summers of my life. Not only was it the Summer leading into my Senior year, but it truly was a Summer of love. (Sappy, I know). Neither the boy nor I had a car at the time, but we spoke to each other daily, sharing stories about our adventures, and getting to know each other. We found ways to see each other as often as we could. Then one day it happened. He was in Colorado and I was in Pennsylvania, visiting family. We were on the phone for one of our nightly chats and we decided to make it official. In true 2004 high school fashion, he "asked me out", and just like that I became his girlfriend. It was past midnight where I was and 10-something where he was, so we went with Denver time and claimed July 13th as our anniversary. To this day we still celebrate on July 13th every year. That's right, still. I am still with that same boy, whom I now refer to as my husband, and today marks 8 years that we have been a couple.

I couldn't have known it then, but forever began in that science classroom so long ago. I like to think that fate played a role in making me switch classes. The past 8 years have been crazy in so many ways, both good and bad, but I wouldn't change a single thing. The amazing friendship that was formed all those years ago has only gotten better. I still get butterflies. I love this man with all of my heart, and I have to pinch myself every once in a while when I think about how lucky I am to have married my high school sweetheart.

So babe, here's to the next 8 years of our lives. Scratch that. Here's to forever. I couldn't have found a better partner to spend forever with. Happy 8th Anniversary, My Love!

**Sappy love story to be continued...

Popular Posts